Research participants offer valuable insights into the running of studies in which they are involved. The NDPH Participant Panel provides advice and guidance on the department’s research from initial study proposals to ways in which research findings may be used to influence policy and improve health. The panel includes current and past research participants and a lay member of the Research Ethics Committee. Panel members may be asked to provide feedback on proposals by email or at face-to-face meetings, and can choose which requests to respond to, according to their availability and interests.
Panel members may:
- review the content and language used in participant questionnaires and information leaflets
- help to ensure that proposed methods are acceptable to potential participants
- comment on research proposals
- advise on ways to increase participation in research
- suggest ways to publicise research results