All MSc students undertake a research placement leading to a dissertation. This is a substantial piece of work and accounts for 40% of the total marks awarded for the MSc degree.
The purpose of the placement is to develop and deepen an appreciation and understanding of concepts and skills learned during the course, and to apply them to a real world situation through independent study. The majority of past students have completed their placements in the UK, however, a small number of overseas placements are available each year including opportunities to visit collaborative partners in Vietnam and China.
Examples of MSc dissertation titles:
- Prevalence of chronic conditions and multmorbidity in adults in the UK: A cross-sectional study
- The association between parity and health outcomes in 100,000 women in the Mexico City Study
- Association of air pollution exposure with ischemic heart disease, stroke and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in China: a cohort study of 25,011 adults
- Does being born a few weeks early affect child cognitive development at age 11? Evidence from the Millennium Cohort Study
- Effects of blood pressure lowering drugs for prevention of death and cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Cost effectiveness study of the prevention of vertical transmission of Hepatitis B in a low resource setting.
- Seasonal variation in arterial stiffness & its relationship with cardiovascular risk factors in 25,000 Chinese adults: findings from the China Kadoorie Biobank study
- Unintended pregnancy, social support and maternal mental health at 9 months post-partum: a secondary data analysis using Millennium Cohort Study data
- How representative is the UK Biobank compared with the national population and does it matter?
- Ethnicity, migration and women's mental health: evidence from mothers in the Millennium Cohort Study
- Risk factors associated with maternal mortality at advanced maternal age: a UK population-based case-control study
- A cross-sectional study of prevalence and risk factors for atrial fibrillation in 200,000 UK adults
- The effects of spicy food consumption on measures of adiposity, systolic blood pressure and the incidence of cardiovascular disease
- The associations between adult height and pre-disease phenotypes in an East Asian population
- Anticoagulation for Atrial Fibrillation in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease on Dialysis
- Modelling the effects of The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) on the food environment and burden of chronic disease in Mexico
- Stroke in patients with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis