Cookies on this website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Continue' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

Provision for Graduate Students in the Nuffield Department of Population Health

1. What arrangements will be put in place for supervising the graduate’s work?

All students have a named supervisor or supervisors, normally as indicated in the offer letter, who will have overall responsibility for the direction of the student's work on behalf of the department.  There is also a graduate advisor, who is usually another experienced member of the department. Supervisor(s), the Graduate Advisor, and the Director of Graduate Studies constitute a student's supervisory team. Students are expected to meet with their supervisors normally three times a term for formal meetings. Students can expect one meeting a term with their supervisors to be an opportunity to review their research and progress and to discuss and agree the contents of the termly submitted supervision report.  Students should meet with their supervisor within the first month of starting to discuss and agree on the project proposal.

2. What induction arrangements will be made?

For students starting in October, the main induction to the department is provided at the start of their first term.  Students are notified of these arrangements by email.   Other arrangements will be made for students starting at other times of the year.  The student's supervisor(s) will arrange a more specialised induction subsequently.

3. What workspace will be provided?

Shared office space will be provided in the department.

4. What IT support and library facilities will be provided?

You will have access to the department’s IT support, and to the University Library services such as Radcliffe Science Library, Cairns Library and Knowledge Centre, Old Road Campus.  Other facilities specific to your research will be discussed with your supervisor as you plan your project.

5. Which research seminars will be available?

All students have access to the weekly seminar series held on the Old Road Campus. Students may also attend seminars run by their research group and to any other relevant academic seminars elsewhere in the university.

6. What access to research funds will be available?

Research funds for research students are normally identified as part of the studentship. A minimum DPhil allowance is made available to all students. Use of these funds must be discussed with the student's supervisor(s) and the Director of Graduate Studies. 

7. What formal graduate skills training will be provided?

Students are strongly advised to attend a variety of skills training sessions offered by Medical Sciences Division and the University as appropriate to the different stages of your graduate career.  Details of such courses and training sessions are emailed to students through the department.   

Details of Medical Sciences Division skills training provision can be found here:

Provision of skills training by the wider university can be found here:

This site provides information about transferable skills development for research students and research staff at Oxford University, including: a searchable database of skills training opportunities; on-line courses on transferable skills; links to articles on topics such as project management, teaching, career planning;  a message board for asking questions and discussing issues with other researchers; information about ASPIRE, Oxford's online personal development planning system.

8. What opportunities will be available for developing and practicing teaching skills?

There are a small number of opportunities for teaching either through the department or through the college.  Training is available in relation to such opportunities.

9. What arrangements for accommodation, meals and social facilities will be made on a year round basis

Various cafes on the Old Road Campus provide catering facilities throughout the day, including the Tulip Tree Cafe in the Richard Doll Building. 

Many colleges will be able to provide at least one year’s accommodation.  Colleges also provide meals throughout the year but provision varies between colleges. In addition, graduate accommodation will often provide self catering facilities.  Graduate students are members of the Middle Common Room, or equivalent, of their college, which is the main social centre for graduates.  The MCR provides a common room and social events.  The college will also provide a bar, some computing facilities and a library and may have dedicated funds for research costs such as conference attendance.  The interests of graduate members of colleges will be represented through an elected committee or elected representatives of college committees, details varying between colleges. Graduates are also welcome to participate in all other social and sporting activities of their college.   Please see individual college websites for details of college provision.

Graduate Research students may become members of the University Club in Mansfield Road and participate in the range of social and sporting activities provided by the University.    

10. What arrangements are in place for pastoral and welfare support?

Department: Within the department, the student's supervisor, Director of Graduate Studies and Graduate Advisor are all available to offer support. Students’ views and concerns can be communicated to the departmental graduate committee or to the Medical Sciences Divisional Graduate Joint Consultative Committee.

College:  There is an extensive framework for support of graduates within each college.  Colleges allocate  a college advisor from among its senior members, who will arrange to see students from time to time and offer additional advice on academic or other matters.  In college the Tutor for Graduates or Senior Tutor can also offer advice.  The Tutor for Graduates is a fellow of the college with particular responsibility for the interests and welfare of graduate students.  In some colleges, this role is fulfilled by the Senior Tutor.  Each college will also have other named individuals who can offer individual advice.

Central:  The University also has a professionally staffed confidential Student Counselling Service which offers assistance with personal emotional social and academic problems:

The University also offers a Career Service: