Objectives of the UK MCRG cohort studies
- To determine the career choices of UK doctors, at regular intervals after qualification, and to study the factors which influence their choices.
- To study career progression, at regular intervals, to compare it with earlier career choices, and to determine factors which have influenced any change.
- To study and estimate the movement of doctors to work outside the NHS, to work in medicine outside the UK, or leave medicine, and to identify factors associated with them.
- To ascertain the views of doctors about their work, training, career and working environment.
- To use study findings to model and forecast future workforce supply;
- To consider the findings, to make recommendations about their interpretation and policy relevance, and to inform medical workforce planners and decision-makers about factors which have an important influence on medical careers and medical work