Research Associate, HeLEX
Dr Nadja Kanellopoulou
Dr Nadja Kanellopoulou is a former Postdoctoral Researcher in Law at HeLEX.
Her research at HeLEX was focussed on legal and regulatory aspects of privacy and consent, as part of the EnCoRe project, a multi-disciplinary research initiative to improve consent and revocation mechanisms in the management of personal data.
Nadja is a lawyer by training (PhD, LLM, Edinburgh; LLB, Athens; Admission to Practice (Athens Bar). She completed her PhD at AHRC/SCRIPT with Graeme Laurie and Ken Mason, was previously an ESRC Genomics Forum Research Fellow (Edinburgh), and is an INNOGEN research associate (Edinburgh).
She specialises in Medical Jurisprudence and Intellectual Property with particular interest in biotechnology law and regulation of individual and group identity in genomics. She has expertise in comparative legal and social aspects of human tissue research and assisted reproductive technologies, including biobanking, tissue donation, benefit sharing, bio-property, public engagement with genomic technologies.
Nadja is a member of several international law and ethics research networks and journal editorial boards involving the governance of medical and innovative technologies.
- Melham KA, Hawkins N, Kanellopoulou N, Kaye J, Gowans H, and Curren L (2013) Ownership of Biomedical Information in Biobanks In: Comparative Issues in the Governance of Research Biobanks, ed. by Pascuzzi, G and Izzo, U and Macilotti, M, Springer Verlag. (ISBN: 9783642331152).
- Kanellopoulou Nadja (2011) Reciprocity, Trust and Public Interest in Research Biobanking: in Search for a Balance In: Human Tissue Research - A Discussion of the Ethical and Legal Challenges from a European Perspective, ed. by Christian Lenk, Nils Hoppe, Katharina Beier, Claudia Wiesemann. Oxford University Press, Oxford, chap. 7, pp. 197 - 218. (ISBN: 978-0-19-958755-1).
- Curren Liam, Boddington Paula, Gowans Heather, Hawkins Naomi, Kanellopoulou Nadja, Kaye Jane, and Melham Karen (2010) Identifiability, genomics and U.K. data protection law. Eur J Health Law, 17(4):329-44.
- Whitley Edgar A and Kanellopoulou Nadja (2010) Privacy and Informed Consent in Online Interactions: Evidence from Expert Focus Groups ICIS 2010 Proceedings, Paper 126.
- Kanellopoulou Nadja (2009) Reconsidering Altruism, Introducing Reciprocity and Empowerment in the Governance of Biobanks in the UK In: Principles and Practice in Biobank Governance, ed. by Jane Kaye and Mark Stranger. Ashgate, chap. 2, pp. 33-52. (ISBN: 978-0-7546-7825-0 ).